Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Book Recommendations



Because some of the pups might be traveling by air we like to acclimate them to airline crates or Vari Kennels. This is the bottom half of an airline crate filled with a soft blanket . After playtime the pups discovered the new experience I planned for them today. Tired from play, a few of them crawled in and fell asleep. After several days we will add the top to the airline crate to get them used to the entire picture but for now it is just another very comfortable place to snooze when their tummies are full and they are ready for a nap.

There are as many training methods as there are dog trainers. It is possible to watch television programs that give 2 very different sides of the dog training picture. Both offer spectacular results on TV, but like ALL TV viewing, don't believe everything you see. Do you think they would show their failures? That wouldn't do much for their ratings. Dog training use to be very harsh and I will ALWAYS feel guilty that I trained my first obedience dog using less than positive methods. Crystal - will you forgive me and know how much I have learned?

Here is a short list of my recommend books. I know Linda also has some she recommends. Maybe I'll add those at a future blog. Check out the many books at www.dogwise.com. Be prepared - you may want to order lots!

HOW TO RAISE A PUPPY YOU CAN LIVE WITH, 4TH EDITION by Clarice Rutherford & David Neil

BEFORE & AFTER GETTING YOUR PUPPY by Ian Dunbar (one of my favorite and eye open seminars was YEARS ago by Mr. Dunbar)

LIVING WITH YOUR DOG DVD by Jack & Wendy Volhard

WHAT ALL GOOD DOGS SHOULD KNOW, 2ND EDITION by Jack Volhard & Melissa Bartlett

TRY TRACKING! - THE PUPPY TRACKING PRIMER by Carolyn Krause

No comments:

Post a Comment